7 Interesting Facts about Canaries You Should Know
- Canaries are native to the Canary Islands and are actually a member of the Finch family.
- The wild canary is greenish-yellow over most of its body with yellow underparts. The domestic canary comes in an array of bright colors.
- Canaries are very small in size, between 4-5 inches and can live up to 10 years.
- Male canaries sing better than females, although the canary may not sing as much during a molt.
READ ALSO: Can Cats have Coronavirus?
- Canaries do not require a great deal of attention and are suitable for beginning pet bird owners.
- Canaries are not social birds so a single pet canary will be happy being alone.
- Canaries are either bred for color, conformation, or song. Each variety has its obvious strong points, but prospective owners should do research into the species to determine which type is right for their household