Cats are generally known to be picky eaters, but that doesn’t stop them from wanting to try novel foods. Although your kitty might indicate that they are interested in eating something that you have, some foods are toxic or poisonous to cats.
Here is a list of human foods that you should never feed to your pet feline:
1. Alcohol and Alcohol-Containing Foods
Alcohol is extremely dangerous for cats and dogs. While people might think it’s funny to offer their pet beer, this is considered abusive and puts your pet’s life in danger. If your cat happens to consume alcohol, you might notice that they have digestive problems, difficulty breathing, and are acting disoriented. Contact your vet immediately, as alcohol toxicity can result in coma or death.
Cats are obligate carnivores and have an entirely different digestive process than humans. The skin of the avocado fruit contains persin, which is generally toxic to cats and dogs. If your cat accidentally ingests avocado, they may have vomiting/diarrhea or develop acute pancreatitis due to the fat content.
Chocolate is toxic to cats and can cause some serious issues. Cats aren’t necessarily interested in chocolate, but anything containing cocoa or chocolate chips puts them at risk. Pets that consume chocolate often exhibit diarrhea and vomiting, cardiac issues and blood pressure issues, and sometimes dyspnea.
Get a cash bonus when you signup and save on the Cowrywise app with my invite code JOSEPLWV or invite link.
Dairy is long-debated as to whether or not it is bad for cats. The whole notion of feeding cats a bowl of milk is extremely misleading (it should not be done, plain and simple). Some cats do enjoy cheese and dairy in very small quantities (like a flake of parmesan cheese or a taste of a cottage cheese curd), but all in all, dairy from cows and other species can cause major digestive upset (similar to humans who experience lactose intolerance).
Cats are especially sensitive to caffeine, and it all depends on the quantity consumed. A few accidental licks of the substance might not cause major problems, but anything more than that will require an emergency trip to the vet. You will notice the symptoms of caffeine toxicity within the first 30 minutes of ingestion and symptoms can last up to 12 hours.
VIDEO: 7 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Cat