Traveling With Your Dog By Car
- Get your dog used to the car by letting them sit in it with you without leaving the driveway, and then going for short rides.
- Avoid carsickness by letting your dog travel on an empty stomach. However, make sure he has plenty of water at all times.
- Keep the car well ventilated. If the dog is in a crate, make sure that fresh air can flow into the crate.
Read also: Basic fact about dog nutrition
- Consider a dog seat belt or dog car seat to keep your dog safe.
- Do not let your dog ride with his head sticking out of an open window. This can lead to eye injuries.
- Never let your dog ride in the back of an open truck. This is extremely dangerous and can lead to severe injuries or death.
- Stop frequently for exercise and potty breaks. Be sure to clean up after your dog.
Read also: why dogs show aggression
- Car rides are boring for everyone, so instruct your children not to tease or annoy the dog in the car.
- Never, ever leave your dog unattended in a closed vehicle, particularly in the summer. See our summer safety tips for more information. If you must leave the car, designate a member of the family to stay with the dog