Houseplants That Are Poisonous to Pets

0
81

Houseplants That Are Poisonous to Pets

1. Amaryllis

This bulb produces a large, trumpet-shaped flower, typically red or white. They grow to between 4 and 10 inches in size. Common symptoms after your dog or cat eats it are:

-Advertisement-
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Tenderness in belly area
  • Drooling
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Trembling

Read also: How to chose a veterinarian for your dog

2. Lilies

-Advertisement-
Learn More

This flower is so toxic to cats that even a small amount could cause kidney damage. All of the plant is poisonous — even the pollen. You might notice drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, or no symptoms at all. The key is to get your cat to the vet right away. Lilies are far less harmful to dogs, but they can irritate their mouths and stomachs, especially calla lilies.

-Advertisement-

3. Sago Palms

You might know them as coontie palms, cardboard palms, cycads, or zamias. They look like little palm trees, and your pet could get seizures or liver failure from munching on them. The seeds are especially bad. Even one or two could cause symptoms like:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Depression

4. Tulips

These colorful, cup-shaped flowers signal the start of spring. But they can be a real problem if your furry friend mistakes them for a snack. Though any part of the plant can irritate their mouth and throat, the bulbs are the most toxic. If your pet eats a few, they might have trouble breathing, start drooling, or even have convulsions.

5. Holly

Lip smacking, drooling, and head shaking are signs your pet has chowed on holly. Toxins are part of the problem, as are spiky leaves that can be hard on the mouth and tummy. You might notice vomiting, diarrhea, and low mood soon after. Some types are more toxic than others.

Read also: Your pet nutrition needs

6. Mistletoe

If you like to use real mistletoe for your holiday events, keep it where pets can’t get to it. The berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea, breathing problems, low heart rate, and even ataxia (walking wobbly) and seizures in dogs and cats.

7. Begonia

The most toxic part, which can cause kidney issues, is under the soil in the root area. So your pet would have to empty the pot onto the floor to get to that. Still, the leaves and blossoms are also poisonous. They can irritate the inside of your dog or cat’s mouth and cause vomiting, drooling, and trouble swallowing.

8. Oleander

Tremors, drooling, seizures, muscle weakness, and extreme vomiting are just some of the signs that your pet may have eaten some of this highly poisonous plant. It can strain their heart, so get your pet to the doctor right away.

9. Schefflera

You might know this common household plant as an umbrella tree or starleaf. It adds a touch of green to your house, and it’s easy to care for. But if your pets nibble on it, they might have intense burning and irritation in and around their mouth, along with vomiting, drooling, and swallowing problems.

10. Plants You Cut Outside

Any number of flowers and plants that you cut outside and bring inside can also be poisonous to pets. Azalea and hydrangea cuttings are two common culprits. Foxglove, iris, and daffodils can also cause serious problems.

11. Marijuana

Take great care if you decide to keep this plant inside. It can cause vomiting, drooling, fast heart rate, seizures, low body temperature, and even unconsciousness or coma.

Read also: The five signs of pat health

12. What to Do for Your Pet

Keep poisonous plants away from pets. Clear up any leaves and other debris that might tempt them. Call your vet or an emergency vet if you think your animal has eaten something toxic, especially if they show signs of illness. Take a picture of the plant or bring some of it, or the vomit, with you to the vet to help figure out what your pet ate.

Contributed by Amy Flowers

For more information and updates join our WhatsApp group HERE

Like our page on Facebook HERE

 

We do everything possible to supply quality information for readers day in, day out and we are committed to keep doing this. Your kind donation will help our continuous research efforts.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here