🔺12 heart related issues in dogs
There are several heart-related issues that dogs may encounter. Here are 12 of them:
1. Heartworm disease – this is a parasitic infection that affects the heart and lungs of dogs. It is caused by a worm called Dirofilaria immitis.
Read also: 10 reasons why a pet dog may lose weight
2. Congestive heart failure – this is a condition where the heart is not able to pump blood effectively, resulting in fluid buildup in the lungs and other organs.
3. Dilated cardiomyopathy – this is a heart condition where the heart becomes enlarged and weakened, leading to poor blood circulation.
4. Arrhythmias – these are irregular heart rhythms that can cause fainting, weakness, and in severe cases, sudden death.
5. Aortic stenosis – this is a condition where the aortic valve becomes narrowed, leading to poor blood flow and strain on the heart.
6. Mitral valve disease – this is a condition where the mitral valve becomes damaged, leading to blood leaking back into the heart.
7. Pulmonary hypertension – this is a condition where the blood vessels in the lungs become narrowed, leading to poor blood flow to the heart.
8. Pericardial effusion – this is a condition where fluid accumulates around the heart, leading to pressure on the heart and poor blood circulation.
9. Myocarditis – this is an inflammation of the heart muscle, usually caused by a viral infection.
10. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy – this is a condition where the heart muscle becomes thickened, leading to poor blood circulation.
11. Heart tumors – these are rare but can occur in dogs and can lead to heart failure or arrhythmias.
12. Endocarditis – this is an infection of the inner lining of the heart, usually caused by bacteria. It can lead to heart failure or valve damage.
It’s important to note that many of these conditions can be managed with medication, surgery, or lifestyle changes. Early detection and treatment are key in ensuring the best outcomes for dogs with heart issues.
🧩CREATED BY DR JOSEPH DEJI-FOLUTILE
For more information and updates join our WhatsApp group HERE
Follow us on Twitter HERE
Join our Telegram group HERE