🔺9 diseases that can affect body weight gain in cats
Below are nine diseases that can affect body weight gain in cats, along with brief details:
1. **Hyperthyroidism**: Hyperthyroidism is an overproduction of thyroid hormones, which can lead to an increased metabolic rate, excessive appetite, and weight loss in cats.
Read also: How to get your cat to be more friendly
2. **Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)**: CKD is a progressive kidney disorder that impairs the cat’s ability to filter waste products and maintain electrolyte balance, leading to decreased appetite and weight loss.
3. **Diabetes Mellitus**: Diabetes in cats results from insufficient insulin production or response. It causes elevated blood sugar levels, leading to increased hunger but poor weight gain.
4. **Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)**: IBD is a chronic inflammatory condition of the gastrointestinal tract that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and poor nutrient absorption, resulting in weight loss.
5. **Cancer**: Various forms of cancer can affect cats, causing weight loss due to metabolic changes, reduced appetite, and competition for nutrients by cancer cells.
6. **Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV)**: FIV weakens a cat’s immune system, making it susceptible to infections and leading to weight loss as the body expends energy fighting illnesses.
7. **Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV)**: FeLV compromises the cat’s immune system, making it more vulnerable to infections and causing weight loss due to chronic illnesses.
8. **Gastrointestinal Parasites**: Worms like roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms can infest a cat’s digestive tract, leading to weight loss through nutrient competition and intestinal damage.
9. **Pancreatitis**: Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas that can result in reduced appetite, nausea, vomiting, and weight loss in cats.
If you observe significant changes in your cat’s weight or overall health, it’s essential to consult with a veterinarian promptly. Early diagnosis and appropriate treatment are crucial for managing these conditions and preventing further weight loss in cats.
🧩CREATED BY DR JOSEPH DEJI-FOLUTILE
For more information and updates join our WhatsApp group HERE
Like our page on Facebook HERE